The basic rules for Coxes, Steerspersons and Scullers on the Walton & Weybridge Reach follow the standard rules of the river:
- Keep to the right at all times (facing the direction of travel)
- Keep your blade ends approx. 2m from the bank when going upstream
- Keep in the right hand half of the river when going downstream
- Slower boats must keep close to the bank to allow overtaking
- Faster boats must overtake nearer the centre, and only when it is clear
- Always shout “LOOK AHEAD” if another boat hasn’t seen you
- Only stop in safe places where you are not obstructing other boats
- Only turn when it is clear, and immediately go over to the other side
See the Map of the Reach for the main danger points.
At a meeting in 2002 all clubs and schools on the reach agreed to follow a standard circulation pattern and a common set of rules. These can be found here.
See also the presentation “Campaign for Better Steering” for the Club’s own guide to best practice for coxes, scullers and bowsteers.