Walton Rowing Club Privacy Notice
Walton Rowing Club takes your privacy seriously. We are a “controller” of the personal information that you provide to us and this privacy notice sets out how, why and for how long we will use your personal data, and under what conditions we may share them with others. It also explains your legal rights as a data subject and how to exercise them.
What we need from you
When you register as a member of Walton Rowing Club or renew your membership (including registration or renewal on behalf of a young person aged 16 or under), or attend a course or other event we run, we may ask you for some or all of the following personal information:
- Contact details – e.g. name, address, email address and phone number.
- Date of birth – to calculate membership category and eligibility.
- Safety and emergency details – e.g. next of kin, relevant health conditions.
If you do not provide us with all of the personal information that we need this may affect our ability to offer you our membership services and benefits.
Why we need your personal information – contractual purposes
We need to collect our members’ personal information so that we can manage your relationship with us. We may use our members’ personal information to:
- Provide you with core member services, including confirmation of membership and end of year renewal.
- Organise club activities, monitor personal performance and manage risk and safety.
- Advise you of the schedule of club activities and events, and any changes or notices.
- Register your membership with British Rowing, to ensure that you are included in the club’s liability insurance cover.
Why we need your personal information – legitimate purposes
We also process our members’ personal information in pursuit of our legitimate interests to:
- Provide you with news and updates about the club’s activities, meetings and other events.
- Raise awareness of the club’s activities by capturing photos, videos, or live streaming at events. We will use this for promotion, education and development purposes.
- Keep track of qualifications and DBS status, particularly for those working with juniors.
- Compile statistics on membership distribution and participation in club activities.
- Respond to and investigate your questions, comments, support needs, complaints, concerns or allegations.
Other uses of your personal information
We may ask you if we can process your personal information for other purposes. Where we do so, we will provide you with an additional privacy notice explaining how we will use your information for these purposes.
Other organisations with whom we share your personal information
When you register with British Rowing it becomes a controller of your personal data, and authorised Club Officers have access to some of those data under British Rowing’s terms. British Rowing provides details of how it uses your personal data in its own privacy notice (available at https://www.britishrowing.org/privacy-policy/).
We may be required to share personal information with statutory or regulatory authorities to comply with statutory obligations. Such organisations include the Health & Safety Executive and the Police for the purposes of safeguarding children. We may also share personal information with professional and legal advisors for the purpose of obtaining advice.
Third party suppliers with access to members’ personal data
Walton Rowing Club may use third party suppliers to provide services. These suppliers may process personal data on our behalf as “processors” and are contractually bound only to process that personal information under our instructions and to protect it.
In the event that we share personal information with external third parties, we only share such information strictly required for the specific purposes and take reasonable steps to ensure recipients shall only process the disclosed personal information in accordance with those purposes. Currently the following third-party suppliers use members’ personal data to provide specific services to the club:
- The membership database is stored in a Google Docs file, to which only the Membership Secretary has full access, and other authorised officers have read-only access. Google’s servers are based in several countries but Google states that it upholds the EU Privacy Shield to certify its data security.
- Constant Contact distributes some of our email communications. Its servers are based in the US and it states that by 25th May 2018 it aims to uphold the EU Privacy Shield to certify its data security.
- Coaches and event organisers receive details of training or competition participants.
- The Club makes use of social media for inter-member communication. The Club is not a Data Controller for any data provided to these services and has no control over their policies and procedures; members are advised to review the privacy policies of any services to which they submit data.
How we protect your personal information
Your personal information is stored by our club in a Google Docs file to which only authorised Club Officers have access, and they will only use it for the purposes set out above. Where necessary, personal data are transferred to third-party suppliers using a password-protected document.
How long we keep your personal information
We only keep your personal information for as long as necessary to provide you with membership services. Unless you ask us not to, we will review and delete your personal information where you have not renewed your membership with us for one year.
You have a right to:
- Change your communication preferences or restrict the processing of your personal data for specific purposes.
- Request that we correct your personal data if you believe it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Request that we delete your personal information.
- Access the personal data that we hold about you through a “subject access request”.
You can contact us via the membership secretary email@example.com
If you are dissatisfied with our response, you have a right to raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office at www.ico.org.uk